Monday 3 March 2014

A Charity Shop Myth Buster and Haul.


Okay, so me and Katie went on a charity shop prowl today, and although we went to quite a few shops, we didn't actually find as much as we usually do. Nevertheless, we did find some beauties today!

Whilst I know you are eager to find out what we bought today, I want to start with a small myth-busting session on charity shops as I know a lot of people are quite skeptical about them.


CHARITY SHOP MYTH BUSTING!

Myth: Charity shops are full of clothing previously owned by dead people.
Truth: Whilst there may be a chance that some items were previously owned by the recently deceased, the majority are not. Many people donate items after having a clear out (like me for instance).

Myth: All the things in charity shops are disgusting and unwashed.
Truth: Actually, every single item of clothing that charity shops receive are checked for their quality. Anything which does not seem up to a certain standard will be thrown away, and all the items which are sale worthy are cleaned, or in the case of clothes, washed. But if you are extra suspicious you can always re-wash items once you have bought them.

Myth: There is never anything in charity shops for young people, it is all 'granny' items.
Truth: There is a respectable amount of 'granny' items, yet there is also a fair amount of younger generation clothing too! I have found countless items from Topshop, River island, Asos, Primark.. etc. As well as this, some 'granny' items are actually in fashion right now! So you could get something vintage and in style for the price of 2 jagers in Weatherspoons. 

Myth: Charity shops are dirty.
Truth: Actually, they are pretty clean. Like previously said, everything is cleaned and displays are changed regularly! Ever been to Primark on a saturday afternoon? Charity shops are ten times cleaner than that, and if you can buy things that have been tried on by 10+ people, then a charity shop, where items are rarely tried on by buyers, you can handle. 

Myth: It is too much hassle going through charity shops, its too hard to find anything
Truth: Every charity shop I have ever been to has had a very organised structure to it. They put all the t-shirts/dresses/jeans together, in size order, with little squares on the hanger telling you their size. Pretty easy to find something actually!

Myth: Charity shops don't have anywhere to try items on and I cannot return the item.
Truth: 90% of charity shops have changing rooms, and all of them accept exchanges! But c'mon, who would ask for a refund at a charity shop anyways? 

THE BEST THING ABOUT BUYING FROM CHARITY SHOPS IS ALL THE MONEY GOES TO A GOOD CAUSE!!

THE HAUL
I am not sure if you would class this as a haul, as we only managed to buy 4 items in total. But there were quite a few things which were really nice, but weren't in our sizes!


Okay, I am going to start with the star buy of the day from Katie. I am really jealous that this shirt did not fit me or I would have had to battle her to the death for it. But check out this absolutely gorgeous, vintage style shirt she got for £3.00!! Do you guys want to know whats even better about this shirt? We did a wee Google search of the label inside 'David Neiper' and found out that a very similar shirt to this would cost you £115 brand new!! Seriously?!?!
(Thank you to my beautiful torso model Katie)


Next up we have my buys of the day. Firstly, I found this beautiful Miss Selfridge dress, which I think I actually owned a few years ago, for £4.00!! Now, anyone who shops at Miss Selfridge will know the expenditure of their items (very similar to Topshop prices if anyone has never heard of them) so getting this beautiful dress, which goes with my favourite coat extremely well, for less than a fiver was like a dream come true. 


Okay so this is something I am so happy to own in my life. I love skirts, and I love pokadots and I love ASOS. So to find a pokadot skirt from ASOS for a bargain buy of £4.00 was like looking into your student food cupboards and seeing you stashed a chocolate bar right at the back. I loves it I do.


And the final item which I found was this 'Silver Linings Play Book' Book. Now, I loved the movie. Jennifer Lawrence (love) and Bradley Cooper (love) and I love reading (love), so to find this was a pleasant surprise! Now this is actually the most I have ever spent on a book in a charity shop, because I usually get 2 for 99p. But, I am not complaining at all. :)



Thank you all for reading today's post! I hope it has changed your mind about charity shops! 
Big thank you to Katie for letting me drag her around the shops today and for letting me force her into taking pictures of her wearing a top. 

P.S. It's PANCAKE DAY TOMORROW. 

No comments:

Post a Comment